Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Howitzers... (the ones before the D1/SfH/etc) USELESS?

I'm curious one everyone's opinions about the Light Howitzers (like the LeFH)in game. They seem really useless, lacking the range and power to do serious damage to tanks and even infantry at times. Their long reload is a pretty serious drawback.

IMO, they could be made more useful with a single shot system (as opposed to the barrage), which would make them good competition for the howitzer tanks, albeit cheaper, less armored, and requiring more skill to use.

does anyone else think similarly? or would a single-shot light howitzer be totally OP.

Light Howies have more arc than the self-propelled ones, so their single-shot accuracy would be truly sniper-like. Their range would make this a problem, since they could easily cripple and destroy tanks mercilessly with they relatively high-calibre shells (particularly the Soviet 122mm M-30 would be a nightmare). We all have seen how Stuh42s pull off amazing roof-shots with their moderate arc, the power of the 105mm HE must not be underestimated .

Imo shortening the reload-time of light artillery significantly (to something like 50-60 secs) could work as an easy and effective solution. Alternatively they could increase the lethal or knockdown radius of the shells a bit.
    Last edited by Norbo; 11-04-2012, 18:52.

Comment

i got 5 25lbrs in one game just as a test. Didn't do as much damage as a nebel could for crowd control. Didn't track one piece of armor. Killed one halftrack. Far as I am concerned they're pretty much worthless and don't even hard counter emplacements. Waste of MP every time.

Comment

This would be extremely easy fixed if you lengthened the barrage: for example, 8-10 rounds instead of 6. So that it becomes commander's personal shotgun. That would make them super useful, i believe.

As for 25lbrs, they simply suck. They are not a howitzer, they are a field gun...

Comment

Completly agree that light arilleries are too weak. I think its one of the major balance issues atm.
          Heavy artilleries can atleast kill emplacements and with some luck kill tanks. Overall they are an okay investment.

Why would anyone get light artilleries, poor range, does almost no damage to armor, horrible for dealing with emplacements, only mediocre vs infantry and they are only slightly cheaper then heavy artilleries.

I think they need a serious price reduction and probably a shorter reload time. Specially the 25pdr is disgrace. It should be a iconic equipment for the UK, but instead its a pile of rubbish. It just feels like im givng the enemy craters to hide in, nothing else.

Comment

Increase range for all howitzers. Reduce reloading time for the light howitzers. Especially the 25 pdr. Give them more ammo.

Howitzers should have significant range advantage to the rocket artillery.

Comment

The only good one is the Japanese 105mm Type 91. I would stay away from the other light howitzers.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBlutDK View Post
                Increase range for all howitzers. Reduce reloading time for the light howitzers. Especially the 25 pdr. Give them more ammo.

Howitzers should have significant range advantage to the rocket artillery.
                They do. 180 - 220 - 250. Howitzers need to be contested though.

Comment

lengthened barrages, more power for the 25pdr seem like good solutions.

I still think single shot would be nice, because howitzer tanks are hero units, and I would like an artillery weapon that's heavier that doesn't fire in barrages and doesn't cost hero points. We would still have the motorized versions fire in (longer) barrages (bishop/priest?), if we're for more of that type of thing.

Also, since the barrage system is already (semi) broken because of target switching, single shot would be more realistic, and more versatile. If we have longer barrages it could end up being ridiculous when shells land everywhere in the radius of the howitzer when it fires.
                  Last edited by Trotskygrad; 11-04-2012, 21:15.

Comment

I don't have any idea how a solution could look like, but I completely agree. I don't use Howitzers much anyway, but if I buy one the it's always the heavier ones. Because at least the heavier ones can "scare" the opponent a bit, deny an area, even when he has medium/heavy armour cause they can be damaged with a direct hit, or detracked with a very-near hit. But the light ones... meh, maybe they kill a few infantry soldiers, but it doesn't matter because they are so expensive they could kill 30 regulars and it would still be bad!

Also, what makes it even worse is the range difference, because it means if someone gets light artillery he can be more or less safely countered with heavy artillery - and then the one with the heavy artillery did destroy something that's worth only a few hundred points less than his artillery AND has heavy artillery to annoy his enemy with!

Comment

They also cost the same amount in CP. Heavy Howitzers = 10 CP. Light = 10 CP. Maybe could bring that down to 8CP. Seems like a minimalistic change. In conjunction with other changes.

Comment

The light artillery have about 20x's more ammo than the D1. The D1 has a chance to kill heavy armor. I've seen it knock out super Pershings. But you'll reload them much much more from the ammo truck and the cost is considerably more. Think of the light howitzers as infantry killers. the D1 is fortification/emplacement/tank killer. infantry that don't die in the first shell simply run out of it's targeted area and evade it all together.

Comment

Is their any reason the light howitzers should have a shorter range than the heavier ?. The 25 pdr actually had longer range than the BL6.

Comment

It probably has something to do with the time frame you can get artillery out on the field. The longer it takes (higher cost) to get a unit out the longer the range. American m8's have very little range, followed by mortars, light arty and finally heavy artillery. Rocket artillery(being the most expensive) have a somewhat middle range.

Comment

Even if the light artilleries come with more ammo its far from enough to make them worth getting. A 25 pounder has to kill like 5 squads of regular infantry at least just to pay off in cost. That doesn't happen often and the very few times it does...well then it has normally taken most of the game to do so.

The equipment is very limited and offer a very small reward. Just take the double 25 pounder call in for 6 points.
                              I seriously doubt it will see any use once the Centaur and tulip is in the game.

Things like that is really gonna need some love otherwise howitzer tanks with sniper accuracy is always gonna be a better investment.
                              They can deal with infantry just as good, Using them isn't such a big dice roll because of their great accuracy, they are resistant to counter artillery, they kill emplacement much more effectivly and can damage/destroy armor. All of that can a StuH do, on top of that it even cost 2 hero points less and arrives earlier in the game.
                              Even if you get 2 25 pounders 90% of the time they are not gonna do nearly as much damage as a well managed 4 point StruH or 5 point Sherman 105.

And if people really need something with a higher arc and range then what the howitzer tanks can offer, well then people just buy heavy artillery.
                              Last edited by Evilsausage; 12-04-2012, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X