X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developers update 2

Welcome to the second developers update of Call to Arms!

Here at DMS, we have really enjoyed working on Call to Arms and adapting our franchise for a modern setting. A ton of new content has been created so far and the game continuously improves to match our high standards. Specifically, we have made many improvements to the game engine, drastically increasing the visual fidelity while optimizing performance. At this point we think the game's screenshots are starting to show the difference, but we haven't yet reached the final quality.

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/outcom...cta/cta_05.jpg

Immersion has always been a focus for us and Call to Arms will continue to increase the level of detail found within our battlefields. All our new 3d assets help create realistic environments, but also physically interact with bullets and explosions. We think we are approaching a level of detail not found within other RTS games.

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/outcom...cta/cta_04.jpg

Real-time lighting now affects all our assets and we have updated our ground textures with high quality normal maps. This provides a natural look to the environment and adds another layer of depth to the game, since everything reacts to what you are doing as a player.

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/outcom...cta/cta_06.jpg
    http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/outcom...cta/cta_07.jpg

Our next goal is to begin reworking trees and vegetation to really bump up the level of visual polish. With all these graphical updates, we take another step closer to beta and a possible Kickstarter launch. Next time we'll focus on the gameplay changes and talk a little more about the individual factions.

Since this questions pops up regularly: Will there be more factions than USA and GRM?
    Yes, we plan to add many more factions to the game after the release or earlier if the funding goes well.

Nice to see the update. Is there any improvement on physical engine? and object movements? For example, Attack & Move, Guidance Missiles, etc. Thanks.

Comment

Nice! very nice indeed. I can't wait to play CtA
      Last edited by Killerspin86; 13-05-2013, 23:26.

Comment

Will more updates regarding infantry (such as reactions to enemy fire, etc.) be added in the future? The look of the game is marvelous already; I'd say it's approaching the time to focus on gameplay value rather than looks.

Comment

I love the graphics, but I hope they improved the engine to play on massive battles, because even high-end CPUs get some drops on massive battles.

Things I'd like to see:

- No skirmish mode
          - Good, if not great, singleplayer campaign
          - Multiplayer that would surpass even Assault Squad's greatness
          - Better engine for large-scale battles
          - Playable on any type of computer, be it notebook to desktop
          - More unit variety, since even in Condemned Heroes the soldiers looked alike
          - Easier unit handling. Maybe formations? Because tank battles were really a pain. And also a possible ability to control multiple squads?
          - More theaters of war, like Europe, United States, Middle-East

SIDE NOTE: If they even dare on making a Skirmish mode, hell, I wouldn't buy this and I would rather rely on a Modern-era mod for Men of War

Comment

Great stuff!

Something to consider when reworking trees! Currently in mow games when a tree is cut down and falls a soldier is unable to pass through the fallen tree, this is very bad and definitely needs to be reworked. Of course ability to use fallen tree for cover should remain!

JANITT I know you dont like skirmish mode but a pure story oriented campaign will lack replay value, where skirmishes really offer replaybility in coop with many players, there is downside to each one. I think best combination would be skirmish that offers campaign/story like objectives but at same time offers variety each time you play.

Playable on any type of computer, be it notebook to desktop
            I hope you don't expect this to happen if the computer have outdated hardware how do you expect to run a game thats going to take advantage of newer hardware and require more processing? If notebook or desktop have reasonable processing and hardware it will run no matter if its laptop or desktop.
            Last edited by djsatane; 14-05-2013, 20:48.

Comment

I don't understand why people ask for "large-scale battles". This game excels in playing w/ small numbers not whole platoons of tanks or companies of infantry. That is like asking this game to be something it is not.

Comment

Well in "large-scale" most people mean anything more then we have now. Unfortunately, from what was said so far, we will get something smaller then vanilla MoW was - it looks like that for me.

Playing with one tank, 10 soldiers, and one other vehicle become boring. Even creators of War Today: Five Day War knew that, and they want to adjust their game to larger battles, with more then 5 heavier tanks per player. It would be an interesting competition between both games (for those who don't know what am I talking about here is link to some information:http://www.mow-center.pl/war-today-f...th-developers/ )

But all in all, coming back to CtA I have to say that graphics look amazing. I completely don't understand comments on FB or other places, where people say that it'll be outdated in 2014. Comparing to CoH 2, CtA on current stage looks superb.

I really wonder how will gameplay look on such detailed battlefields.

But I have to ask it - when can we expect next update? In weeks time, month time, or earlier?

Comment

Frankly, some of the game's biggest strengths are also its biggest weaknesses.

The deep level of control (limited ammunition, individual soldier inventories, limited fuel) makes this game optimised for tactical gameplay, but larger scale battles involving huge amounts of units becomes unwieldy fast, especially during a pitched battle.

To make it "friendlier" for bigger battles, many core mechanics like those mentioned above have to be disabled, because ordering 20 soldiers individually to scrounge ammo, recover fallen weapons and hats pulls the focus away from directing the battle.

I personally don't mind if they leave out the skirmish scenarios that were in AS, in fact I don't mind if they don't make a campaign like the first Men of War had, provided they make an intergrated, persistent meta-campaign like the Dynamic Campaign Generator mod does, with the strategic side expanded a-la the Total War series.

This would certainly push the replayability above and beyond both the skirmish scenarios and campaigns ever will, in fact DCG is the main reason why i'm still playing AS, because my internet is too terrible to have any decent MP games.

Comment

Glad to here you playing DCG We're working on a big big update for the AS version to have all the vehicles and squads from vMoW version and Italy too!

Back to CtA and the series in general. This game engine was never designed to have those huge battles. Look at all the SP missions from the older games. You usually only have control of a hand full of guys that you can really micro and get tactical with. The more units you have the less control you have of your units, the more you have to rely AI to do the right thing and we all know how good the AI is

Taking the game large scale would be interesting, but it would not be playing to the series/GEM engines strengths

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-In-Exile View Post
                      I personally don't mind if they leave out the skirmish scenarios that were in AS, in fact I don't mind if they don't make a campaign like the first Men of War had, provided they make an intergrated, persistent meta-campaign like the Dynamic Campaign Generator mod does, with the strategic side expanded a-la the Total War series.

This would certainly push the replayability above and beyond both the skirmish scenarios and campaigns ever will
                      I dream MoW2 would have this structure.

Comment

Originally posted by JANTT View Post
                        I love the graphics, but I hope they improved the engine to play on massive battles, because even high-end CPUs get some drops on massive battles.

Things I'd like to see:

- No skirmish mode
                        - Good, if not great, singleplayer campaign
                        - Multiplayer that would surpass even Assault Squad's greatness
                        - Better engine for large-scale battles
                        - Playable on any type of computer, be it notebook to desktop
                        - More unit variety, since even in Condemned Heroes the soldiers looked alike
                        - Easier unit handling. Maybe formations? Because tank battles were really a pain. And also a possible ability to control multiple squads?
                        - More theaters of war, like Europe, United States, Middle-East

SIDE NOTE: If they even dare on making a Skirmish mode, hell, I wouldn't buy this and I would rather rely on a Modern-era mod for Men of War

What the hell do you have against skirmish mode, if you don't like it then don't play it?

If anything they should improve the lackluster skirmish mode that were in AS,
                        it's basically a few mission with assault objectives, or defensive if you bought
                        the DLC.

Skirmish mode should really essentially mean multiplayer mode with bots, where
                        you can customize many things before start such as starting resource, factions
                        etc.

Comment

I'm gonna try to make this clear.

"No skirmish mode"
                          - The few reasons why I hate such mode is that it's too predictable. One would know such events happening before it even occurs, and it's just the same stuff over and over, with no diversity whatsoever. Once you'd beat the first mission, you could surely apply the same tactics on the second, the only mission that actually feels different from the rest is the first one, which, in my opinion, is much more fun to play than the rest.

"Better engine for large-scale battles"
                          - When I mean large scale battles, I mean having to play a mission with more ambiance in it, if you guys could recall Men of War's first six Soviet missions - It had a lot of fighting, but it didn't lack the need for tactics, it's challenging, and fun. But of course we'd like replayability like the American missions, the carryover scripts surely made those missions replayable. DCG is a great example of how CtA should be. The equipment from the last mission should still be present, if the last mission is related to the present, and that pre-battle placement is allowed.

"Playable on any type of computer, be it notebook or desktop"
                          - Alright, maybe I went over the top on notebook. But a game, if playable on most types of computers, would surely have a larger community, and more sales. The game shouldn't be limited to those who have a high-end GPU and a lot of RAM, the game should be at least playable on most.

"Easier unit handling. Maybe formations? Because tank battles were really a pain. And also a possible ability to control multiple squads?"
                          - For me, the handling units is not that difficult, even while fighting, only if they could at least add a feature to share ammunition or bandages when needed would be much easier to handle even on more than 20 soldiers. Scavenging on the dead for loot isn't hard so long as its being managed by a squad, not an individual. The idea of having to loot a dead body by a squad, and sharing the equipment, is a great idea.

"To make it "friendlier" for bigger battles, many core mechanics like those mentioned above have to be disabled, because ordering 20 soldiers individually to scrounge ammo, recover fallen weapons and hats pulls the focus away from directing the battle."
                          - I don't think disabling some features just to present a larger battle is needed, a smarter AI could make do by it's own... if it's smart enough to grab their needed equipment rather than distribute each type of item. I'd think it's possible to make a script for individual units to hunt equipment on their own, if they could pick up a rifle on sight, surely they could do the same on the dead.

"SIDE NOTE: If they even dare on making a Skirmish mode, hell, I wouldn't buy this and I would rather rely on a Modern-era mod for Men of War"
                          - I may have exaggerated a bit, but I really don't like the skirmish mode. Look, the skirmish would be good, I'm just not in to repetitive battles. I'd be content as long as they would have an editor to come with, I've only been playing Assault Squad because of the mods and the editor anyway.

Comment

So define to me what kind of single player/coop scenario be a battle thats not repetitive? Skirmish mode is actually less repetitive than lets say scripted/storyline missions in men of war, there is at least randomization that occurs at some levels. Sure combination of both with increased randomization would be better but I am curious if you could tell me example of a good great campaign thats not gonna have repetitive battle after you play it once? And remember that a lot of people love to play coop and thus if you create campaign thats too story line driven and hero based it may not work very well in coop.

Comment

As discussion went to topic of single player, currently I'm watching such evolution in Wargame AirLand Battle. In beta there is just skirmish mode now available, and in W:EE there were just normal campaign scripted as hell. In new game they are planning to make a let's say "tactical map" but not something like in total War series I guess, with possibility to choose units and battlefields individually, when all our choices have impact on general storyline. As CtA is also a modern times game, where we don't have to follow some general history based facts like in WW2 games, such mechanism would be interesting.

To be honest, the closest to this is DCG. With only major difference, that there wouldn't be so much randomness with enemy forces like in DCG. In general, it's skirmish, as we will play against AI, with scripted behavior, but not direct actions like in story-based campaign.

The only interesting way of creating story based campaign in my opinion would to base it on similar ideas like in Codename Panzers, where missions where scripted, but units were fully based on our choice etc. But in general, to make it not so predictable AI should be also handled like in DCG idea.

So it looks like if we don't want to have boring campaign, game should be based on something like DCG idea. As it gives player everything what is interesting. The only disadvantage is that, fans of lined missions won't get something for them, but personally I think such campaign won't keep community close to game, as it would be something like with Call of Duty series, where great campaigns are played once, and then players move to multiplayer and forget about singleplayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X